Compound Bows

Kathleen Jones "Kat" Story

I have been bowhunting for eight years now and have recently relocated to beautiful Southeastern Ohio.  To me, bowhunting is not just about harvesting a deer, it is also a oneness with nature and the awe of all perfect creation.  From the beauty of dawn to dusk, the leaves falling from the tree and watching the all the wildlife.  And knowing you have the freedom to hunt! Then there's that undescribable spectacular feeling when you are astounded by the appearance of deer!  This feeling never ceases to amaze me!  It is the ultimate "high". 

My husband is my best friend as well as my hunting partner, and we have several tactics we use when hunting.  We decided to try our "decoy tactic", using the same 3-D deer we use for practicing our shots.  This buck was taken on November 8; the "calm before the storm" as full-blown rut didn't occur  yet, but just began a day or two ago.  I made a spot in a cove of brush, and we set up the 3-D decoy (which looks like a "doe") 20  yards from it.  We doused the decoy with estrus deer urine, and I used buck urine (taken directly from a buck a friend harvested two days earlier) as my cover scent.  Within a half hour, this beautiful buck came right up to the "doe" and stopped to check her out.  I raised my bow and did my best to be steady!  The shot was true and the buck just stood there, not knowing what happened.  He sauntered off and crashed, going down quickly.  The rush of adrenaline was so strong that it brought tears to my eyes!  Though not a monster, he's a true beauty and a blessing to me.


Jewel Palmer's Hunt

Here is a picture of a Whitetail I took on September 17, 2008 with my Martin Cheetah.  It was taken at Pine Tree Trophy Whitetail, Harrisonville PA (owner Jeff Huston) 600 acre farm.  I have been an avid hunter since the age of 12 (I am now 32).  My husband bought me my first bow last year for my birthday.  I was kind of skeptical about bow hunting, but now I am hooked!  It is the greatest thing I have ever done.  This buck is the first deer ever taken with my new bow, and I double lunged him.  I had some chances last year at a few 6 points, but decided they were not bigger than anything already killed (with my rifle), so I decided against it.  I wanted my first deer with my bow to be a trophy.  I think I have succeeded in doing that.  Shooting the first deer with a bow I believe would be exciting enough... let alone nailing a 170.

Buck Information: Score 170 – 22.5” Inside – 14 Points, 260 lbs.

Bow Information: Martin Cheetah, 49 lbs, Ultra-Rest, Cobra DRM sights, Montec G5 broadheads


Synthia Wilson

Deer Friends,

I have attached photos of my deer that I took on. I wish I would have had someone in the woods with me to take photos but did not. Nor did I have a camera with me, so these were taken by my neighbor once I got home.


Synthia Wilson of Olathe, Kansas has been a Bowhunter for 10 years and is a Bowhunter Education instructor for the state of Kansas (KDWP) and IBEP.

Date Taken

Friday, November 19th at 7:50 am .

The Stats:

He is a 9 Point buck and field dressed at about 180 lbs. and will score the 125 class. This means he will qualify the Kansas record book and maybe the low end of Pope and Young.

The Story:

This was my 14th time out. I was in my tree stand about 25 feet up, at dark and set up by 6:00 am with temperatures around 35 degrees and about a 10 mile an hour wind blowing to the north. I was in a transitional area where does and bucks had been seen. When it was light enough to see well, which was about 7:15 , I started with a few doe bleats, then waited a while and rattled, followed by some buck grunting sequence. This resulting in bringing in 3 does into an open field to the North West , on the opposite side of a creek bed near my tree. They snorted a little and slowly came closer. I continued to occasionally bleat and then grunt off and on, hoping to draw one of the does closer than 70 yards. About 7:40 I heard some snapping branches and leaves moving on the opposite side of the creek on a north eastern ridge behind me. I could see a buck coming in through the brush. He stopped and sort of hung up until he lifted up his nose and obviously got wind of some of the stink bombs I had set out near my tree. Then he came in slowly. One of the does snorted again and he perked up and came in faster. Once he was about 22 yards from me a dog barked from another direction and he momentarily stopped and looked that direction. When he did this, I pulled back my bow and let go my arrow. Right as I let go of the string (arrow already in flight) he put his foot down and seemed to plan to go back to sniffing, so the arrow went in farther back and at a quartering away shot. It went into the liver and hit the rear of the opposite lung and stuck in. It did not pass through. He took off back the direction he came over the ridge. This was 7:50 am .  At 9:45 I got down out of my stand and started to trail him. I was not happy with the shot, as I had planned for a double lung shot, so I wanted to give him plenty of time to go down. There was massive amounts of blood found off and on, though at times it was only spotted I would not give up and took my time. I ended up trailing him about 450 yards past that ridge, across a road, and up another ridge. I found him in a core area, where there was an active scrape about 20 feet away.

I called my husband Ken at home and he came and helped me field dress him and get him out of the woods. I plan to have him mounted and scored. I still have 2 doe tags to fill and 2 turkey tags.

Hope you all enjoy the pics and have success as well.


Amanda Bybee

One of my favorite things to do with my husband is drive around our farm on the four wheeler in the evening and look for deer on our land.  We spend all summer getting ready for deer season which is like a holiday at our house.  We set up trail cameras and hope that we can catch the big deer in action. In June of 2006 my father-in-law, Jack was combining fescue seed and jumped a big eight point buck.  He came home telling us how long the main beams were.  We then got some pictures on out trail camera in August and gasped when this huge deer appeared onto the TV screen.  My sister in law, Traci nicknamed the deer Skyscraper because the rack came so far off his head.  The first weekend of bow season that year my husband, Brett saw skyscraper about eighty yards away, and that was the last we saw him in 2006.

Much to our surprise, when summer came in 2007 Skyscraper appeared on our trail camera again.  We began to see him with several other deer on a regular basis in the alfalfa plot on our land even though much of the alfalfa was dead due to the hard frost we got in early spring.  At the end of August the deer stopped coming to the field so my father-in-law Jack brush hogged it, and with a couple good rains the Alfalfa grew some new tender leaves and the deer started to come back to the field.  We saw several deer, but no Skyscraper.  He went unseen for a couple weeks until Brett saw him about a mile from were he had been before laying about 100 yards off the gravel road.  He came home sick thinking that Skyscraper would get killed by a road hunter and we would never see him again.
I couldn’t wait for September to come and finally it was time to hunt. When bow season rolled around I was so excited.  This is only my second year to bow hunt and I had never gotten anything.  I had been practicing a lot and I finally felt pretty confident shooting within 30 yards.  I was planning on shooting a doe or anything that walked in front of me. We had our stands set up and our bows sighted in.    

My husband set me in a good spot on the edge of the alfalfa field where does and pretty good bucks had been hanging out after spraying me down with Scent Killer.  I climbed up in the stand and ranged a few clumps of grass and a bare spot on the ground with my husband’s rangefinder that he so kindly let me use.  I practiced standing up without making the stand squeak and I pulled back my bow a couple times to make sure I could. I sat for quite a while and watched a lone gobbler peck around in the lane about 40 yards away.  A little later I saw a family of raccoons wander along the edge of the woods.  I knew it was getting close to “that time”.

You know that time when everything kind of quiets down, the sun is just beginning to descend and it glows from behind the tree line.  I heard a hoot owl call and I just sat enjoying nature when I saw a deer jump the fence at the back of the lane about 300 yards from me. I looked with my binoculars as another little deer jumped the fence.  I could see that the first was a little basket rack eight point and the second a forky horn.  I kept watching as a third deer jumped the fence.  This deer was different than the others and I could tell he was a shooter buck.  My heart immediately began to pound as they began to mosey up the lane right toward me.  I watched them come for about five minutes that seemed like an eternity.  I don’t even think I was breathing.  When I thought they weren’t looking I carefully stood up.  I raised my bow and saw the glow of my Tru Glo sights.  I found the 20 yard pin because there he stood about 23 yards in front of me.  I drew back and thought I was gonna fall out of the tree, but I tried to stay calm. I just pretended he was one of the bucks on the electronic screen that I had shot so many times after church on Sundays with my husband.  When I was ready, I let the arrow fly.

I knew that I hit him good and he cut back like a horse rounding a barrel and took off into the woods.  The other two deer trotted back down the lane and then turned and watched me for a few minutes before disappearing.  I marked the last spot I saw him run and listened to my deer for a few seconds until I heard the loud sounds of leaves which I knew was him crashing in the woods.  I had heard that sound on hunting movies many times, but never in real life.  I could hardly breathe. I immediately picked up my phone and dialed my husband who was sitting only about 300 yards away on the other side of the woods.  I told him I had just shot a nice eight point. He began spitting out words faster than I could respond.  Is he a mounter, is it skyscraper, did you hit him good, where did he run and stay put until I get there.  The only thing I could respond with was that he was a nice eight point and I know I hit him good and I think I heard him crash. I didn’t climb down from the stand until I saw him come running out of the woods.  I climbed down and we decided to wait a while before going to trail him.

We went back to the house and waited almost 2 hours before going to look for him.  Brett, Jack, and I grabbed the flash lights and took off in the farm truck.  We went to the spot where I shot him and didn’t find a single drop of blood.  I got a little worried because I thought I hit him really good and I figured he would bleed.  We split up and just started looking because I knew I had heard him crash. After about ten minutes I heard the words I was waiting to hear from my father-in-law, Jack.  “Here he is,” he said and I came running.  As I got closer I could see his huge rack shining in the light and I knew it was skyscraper.  I sat down behind him and tried to pick up his head and could hardly lift his rack.  I never dreamed he was that big when I pulled back my arrow.  I saw my entry hole and it was just where I had aimed.  The arrow didn’t pass all the way through and that’s why there was no blood to trail.  I shined the flash light back toward the tree stand I realized he only ran about fifty yards. He green scored 161 3/8 which is huge for a SW Missouri 8pt.  His main beams are 28 5/8 inches long, and his inside spread is 21 ¾ inches wide.  I was ecstatic and couldn’t stop staying “oh my gosh!”

After celebrating for a while I started feeling bad because Brett had been hunting skyscraper for so long and I wanted him to get him.  He has been hunting for years and has never killed a mounter and I hoped he would get a nice buck for the wall.  He was quick to reassure me after I apologized how proud he was of me for making a good shot and getting such a nice deer for my first bow kill.  He then reminded me of how lucky I am.  I am so excited to hang my trophy on the wall and end the legend of “skyscraper.”

Supplies Used:

  • Alpine Micro Bow
  • Whisker Biscuit
  • Truglo Sights
  • Limbsaver stabilizer
  • Gold Tip arrows
  • Muzzy Broadheads
  • Redhead Camouflage
  • Scent Killer
  • Bushnell Yardage Pro (range finder)
  • Stealth Cam and Moultree (trail cameras)


Lou Ann Weisenstein Buck

I have been a member of the Women’s hunting club for 3 years and love reading about everyone’s hunting stories, ideas and wonderful friendships which have been acquired during this time.

I am sending in a picture to the club of the buck I shot this year.

Since the beginning of October I have been evening hunting a lot.  We have a small forest that is close to city limits which makes it a passing zone for the deer to go from bedding area to feeding area.  I have many ladder stands set up so that I can move from stand to stand depending on wind direction or movement of the deer.  I have been following the doe’s, not seeing any mature whitetails, complaining to my husband that I haven't spotted anything worthy of shooting, he told me to continue hunting where the doe’s are.  So I followed his advice (which I learned along time ago to do) and continued to sit in the stands with doe movement.

Our Ohio weather has been excellent this year, being warm and comfortable.  On November 4, my husband was leaving for his annual golf trip to Santee South Carolina and I was heading out to the woods to hunt.  Before I headed out we talked on the phone and he told me to shoot the big one and I told him with conviction that I would, never dreaming that evening this buck would grace my stand and give me a broad side shot.

Before heading out I talked with our son Corey and told him where I was going and he reminded me that he had a school dance at 6:30 and I needed to take him there.  No problem, I can do this ( Nathan is at Wright State and not home from College yet so he is not able to take him) I am believing that this evening will be spent glassing the area's looking for the big one to hunt the next day so I don't imagine any complications.

I walked into the forest and set up in the old crossbow stand, for the youth hunters who can't pull back 40 pounds yet.  I like this stand but you have to be extremely careful when hunting out of it because it has cross bars on the sides and in front, I have to hold the bow over the bars when making a shot, you can't even allow your arrows to touch the metal or you get a metallic sound which can be heard around the forest. Most men are tall enough this doesn't affect their shot but for anyone 5'6" and under your degree of difficulty is high.

The evening was very productive and I started seeing deer as soon as I entered the forest.  Doe's and small bucks running together, the movement of the deer was different from the days before.  I continued to let small bucks and doe’s accumulate around the stand then they would just run off.  This went on for and hour or so.  I tried to make a visual connection with these deer just incase I saw them again.  As I was watching a small buck and 2 doe’s ran pass my stand and headed down the hill,  they turned around and ran pass me, I looked and saw a basket rack 8 point behind me and watched it come under the stand, as it was walking passed I heard a crack, so I assumed there was another deer with him I couldn't see.  It wasn't 5 minutes later when this big buck presented himself to me following the same trail as the 8 point.  My heart was pounding and I watched him turn broad side, I pulled back the bow and released my arrow, watching his every movement looking for possible sigh that I had made a good shot.  He jumped, ran 30 yards and stood still, I watched him at that spot for what seemed a long time then he just slowly walked around the ridge and I lost sight of him.  I sat till dark then climbed out of the stand looking for the arrow.  It is amazing that you are so hyped up that you have such a difficult time thinking straight that you can't locate the arrow you shot.  I couldn't find it.  It's dark, I have a big buck in the woods that I am hoping I can harvest but can't locate the arrow and I remember that I have to take my son to his school dance.  Ok I put my priorities straight.  First get out of the woods, second take Corey to his dance, wait for dance to be over then pick up Corey, go to my parents house and ask them to help Corey and I track the buck, go back and start with the shot and find the arrow if possible.  So this is what I did.

I was running on nervous energy.  My parents thought what they were doing was wonderful and I hope made them feel very special, I couldn't of found this wonderful  buck with out all of my family helping me.  It took us 2 hours and a slow walk over the ridge with flashlights to locate him.  My mom immediately found the arrow broken in two, with signs that I had made a good shot, but no blood at all on the ground only a small spec on a tree.  We walked the area over and over finding nothing so we followed the trail I remember him taking. Dad was trying to locate a concrete bunker on the ridge which is 6 feet deep so we would not fall into it when Corey yelled deer!!.  There was the buck only 15 feet from us beside a fallen log, if Corey hadn't of been following Dad to go see what the bunker looked like we might of passed by him and never realized he was there.  I immediately called my husband who was still traveling to S.C. and told him of my success.  I know how proud of me he is.  All my accomplishments are his also because he is the one person who has made this dream possible for me.  Without his knowledge, passion for the sport and love for me, this buck would have never been harvested that warm November evening in Ohio .

I was wondering how we were going to drag this deer out of the woods. Dad had just had his knees replaced 12 months ago, but here he is a trooper helping me drag the deer as far as he could.  Mom and Corey carried the equipment and tried to help find an easy way down. We did have to call on my brother Steve to help finish the job because of the nature of the woods and the steep slope. He never hesitated, jumping in his truck at 11:00pm , driving over to help us.  (Steve is a Strongman competitor and could have probably thrown the deer over his shoulder and hiked him out of there in minutes).  

What a happy occasion this was with hugging and congratulations all around for this deer was shot by me but a little piece of everyone in the family contributed to the harvest of this impressive buck.  This memory will certainly last a life time and maybe more.

We are continuing our hunt for quality bucks since Randy, Nathan and Corey still need to fill there tags.

Shot straight,

Lou Ann Weisenstein